What you eat before and during pregnancy can prevent birth defects.
- If you’re planning a pregnancy, begin healthy behaviors now!
- See your doctor or health care provider early.
- Stop smoking!
- Avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Eat a healthy diet including vitamin B (folic acid).
- Prenatal vitamins or multivitamins with folic acid.
- Food with folic acid, such as orange juice, green leafy vegetables, beans, fortified cereals and enriched grain products.
- Recommended intake of folic acid is 400 micrograms each day. (Do not exceed 1,000 micrograms per day.)
Most pregnancies are unplanned. Start now to take folic acid every day.